I recently created two new programs that faciliate the process of (qualitative) coding of event data. The Event Coder program is dedicated to coding incidents, which are bracketed, qualitative descriptions of activities that are stored in chronological order in event data sets. Linux and Windows builds for the Event Coder program can be downloaded using the links below (a manual is included in the zip files):
The Linkage Coder program is dedicated to coding linkages between incidents, which describe how the incidents (see above) are related (e.g., which incidents occurred in response to each other). Linux and Windows builds for the Linkage Coder program can be downloaded using the links below (a manual is included in the zip files):
I will provide more details on this page later.
Several issues with the programs are likely to still exist, but I solve these as soon as I identify them. Below is a list of updates of the programs that I have made since I put them online. I always upload a full new version of the programs after an update.
- 2017-09-22: Fixed some small issues with the Linkage Coder, and added controls that allow you to navigate between incidents based on linkages, or based on textual content of the data set. Also added progress bar for importing coded linkages from larger data sets.
- 2017-09-25: Fixed some issues with memos in the Event Coder not being exported, and also changed some small things in the way that memos are stored, in order to prevent problems. Also fixed an issue with assigned relationships not being handled right when changed. Also fixed an issue with relationship memos that occurred when importing codes.
- 2017-09-26: Fixed an issue in the Event Coder with changes to entities and relationship types not being implemented in the relationships themselves. Also changed TextEdit fields to PlainTextEdit fields to prevent errors caused by copying and pasting formatted text.
- 2017-09-27: Fixed some issues in Linkage Coder with jumping between linkages. Added option to navigate between incidents based on context to Event Coder. Also added index validators to both programs. Also implemented automatic removel of trailing whitespaces for names and descriptions of attributes, categories, entities and relationship types. Also fixed an issue in Event Coder where attributes where not alphabetically sorted.
- 2017-09-29: Fixed some issues that occurred when exporting coded data from the Event Coder to the CYPHER.txt file.
- 2017-10-04: Fixed an issue that occurred with trailing spaces in the names of attributes or entities, when assigning categories/attributes to them.
- 2017-10-05: Fixed an issue with navigating right text field based on contents, where a segmentation fault occurred, causing the program to crash sometimes.
- 2017-10-06: Fixed an issue in the Event Coder with unwanted re-assigning of attributes and categories that occurred when adding a new attribute or category with a name that is partly similar to existing attributes/categories. Also made some small changes to the CYPHER output.
- 2017-10-08: Some additional minor fixes in relation to unwanted reassignment of attributes/categories in the Event Coder.
- 2017-10-16: Added assisted coding option to the Linkage Coder (see manual for details). Also made some small fixes to the Linkage Coder.
- 2017-10-18: Fixed an issue that I accidentally introduced with the last update of the Event Coder, which caused relationship memos to not be stored.